A licensee can obtain continuing education credits from any of the areas of study listed below. A licensee cannot receive credit for more than the maximum number of hours permitted in each biennial period.
Licensees who complete the required twenty (20) hours credit pursuant of the requirements for parenteral conscious sedation and/or general anesthesia permit holders shall be given credit for all twenty (20) hours completed.
Educational and Scientific Courses Related to the Practice of Dentistry
A licensee may obtain forty (40) hours of continuing education credit in this category.
- Completion of an accredited one year dental residency program
- Attendance at, or completion of, an approved advanced education program leading to certification in endodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgery, oral and maxillofacial pathology, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics, public health, or oral and maxillofacial radiology
- A maximum of five (5) hours can be received by a student or an instructor for basic CPR courses and a maximum of fifteen (15) hours can be received by a student or instructor for advanced CLS courses.
- A maximum of twenty (20) hours can be given for any form of written or electronic media distance learning courses. A written or electronic media distance learning course must include a written post test, and the test must be retained by the licensee as an additional record of completion for the course. Currently, webinars that are live and synchronous are treated as live courses.
- A maximum of seven (7) hours can be given for practice management / managed care courses
Papers, Publications, and Scientific Presentations
A licensee may obtain a maximum of twenty (20) hours of credit in this category.
- A maximum of ten (10) hours can be given for each original scientific paper authored by the licensee and published in a refereed journal. At the discretion of the Board, the ten (10) hours may be divided among co-authors based upon the length of the scientific paper and the contributions of each author.
- For each original presentation of a paper, essay, or formal lecture to a recognized group of fellow professionals as part of a course or program eligible for Board approval for credit pursuant to this section, a licensee can receive two (2) hours of credit for every hour of presentation
Teaching and Research Appointments
A licensee involved in teaching or research activities at least one full day or the equivalent of one full day per week per academic year and who holds at least a part time faculty or research appointment can receive five (5) hours of credit annually for each full day of teaching or research activity up to a maximum of ten (10) hours of credit per biennial period or two and one half hours annually for each half day of teaching or search activity up to a maximum of five (5) hours per biennial period.
Table Clinics and Scientific Exhibits
A licensee may obtain a maximum of eight (8) hours in this category.
- A licensee may obtain up to one (1) hour credit for each two hours of original presentation of a table clinic or scientific exhibit at a professional meeting.